This red chicken chili recipe is easy to make on the stovetop in just 30 minutes, it’s naturally gluten-free, and tastes SO cozy and delicious.
Who’s ready for a warm bowl of chicken chili? ♡
Well good news — you won’t have to wait long with this easy chicken chili recipe. It’s easy to make on the stovetop from start to finish in just 30 minutes, and it’s full of the best cozy, comforting, zesty red chili flavors that everyone around the table is sure to love. This chicken chili also naturally gluten-free and and a great source of protein. And if you happen to have any leftovers or are wanting to make a big batch for meal prep, I can vouch (after eating my leftovers for lunch everyday this week) that this one reheats beautifully and gets even more delicious with age.
Anyway, I’ve included lots of tips below for how you are welcome to customize this chicken chili recipe with any of your favorite ingredients. And as always, I vote that you pile those serving bowls high with all of your favorite toppings. Because when it comes to chili, the more toppings, the merrier for sure.
Let’s make some chicken chili!
Easy Chicken Chili Ingredients:
To make this chicken chili recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Veggies: A quick mix of diced onion, red bell pepper and garlic, sautéed together in olive oil until softened.
- Chicken stock: Or veggie stock — up to you!
- Diced tomatoes: I love the extra-smoky flavor of using fire-roasted diced canned tomatoes, but any kind of diced tomatoes will still work great.
- Diced green chiles: One small can for extra cozy chili flavor.
- Beans: Two cans of whatever type of beans (black, red kidney, pinto, white, garbanzo, etc.) you prefer.
- Chicken: I made this recipe with using the Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe that I posted earlier this week. But you could also make and dice/shred my baked chicken breast recipe, or just buy and shred a rotisserie chicken!
- Seasonings: A mix of chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Toppings: As I said — the more, the merrier! I recommend adding as much diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, diced green or red onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or crumbled corn tortilla chips as possible.
How To Make Chicken Chili:
To make this easy chicken chili recipe, simply…
- Sauté veggies. First, we will sauté some onion, bell pepp and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients: Then add in the remaining ingredients, heat the chili until it is simmering, then let it cook and reduce for about 10 minutes until the broth reaches your desired level of thickness.
- Season: As always, season with S&P (or any extra seasonings you might want to increase) to taste.
- Serve: Then serve the chicken chili while it is nice and warm, piled high with lots and lots of toppings. ♡
There are sooo many delicious ways to customize this recipe, so feel free to get creative and use up leftover ingredients in your fridge or pantry. For example, feel free to:
- Use turkey. If chicken isn’t your thing, you are welcome to sub in diced turkey if you would like. (Or you could also sauté some ground turkey or chicken.)
- Make it spicier. If you like your chili to have more of a kick, feel free to add in 1 or 2 finely-diced jalapeño peppers. (Just add them in at the same time as the onions.) Or you could also add in some hot sauce, to taste.
- Make it smokier. I also really love adding in a roughly-chopped chipotle in adobo sauce to my chili, for that extra smoky peppery taste.
- Add in extra veggies. I kept this base recipe simple. But if you would like to add in some extra veggies, anything from sweet potatoes to carrots, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant or kale would be delicious too. If you add in more veggies, just keep in mind that you may need to also add in some extra broth/seasonings to compensate.
More Favorite Chili Recipes:
Here are a few more of my go-to chili recipes, if you would like to give them a try!
- 5-Ingredient White Chicken Chili
- Creamy Chicken Chili
- Black Bean Chili
- Vegetarian Chili
This easy chicken chili recipe is easy to make on the stovetop in just 30 minutes, it’s naturally gluten-free, and tastes SO cozy and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 (15-oz) can beans of your choice, rinsed and drained (I used pinto and dark red kidney beans)
- 2 cups diced or shredded chicken*
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- toppings: diced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro, diced green or red onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or crumbled corn tortilla chips
- Sauté veggies. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, beans, chicken, diced green chiles, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the chili reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer (uncovered) for 10 minutes.
- Season: Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve: Serve immediately, piled high with all of your favorite toppings.
Storage instructions: Leftovers can refrigerated in a food storage container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Chicken recommendations: I made this recipe with some Instant Pot Shredded Chicken that I had in the freezer. But you could also make and dice/shred my Baked Chicken Breast recipe, or just buy and shred a rotisserie chicken!